1: TEACHER SUPPORT
3: DIGITAL CONTENT
• Planning ahead and
• Teaching and learning plan
(including safety notes)
• Student worksheet
POPCORN, PIKELETS & CHEMICAL REACTIONS
Science Understanding / Chemical
sciences / Year 9
In this investigation, students explore important
chemical reactions such as neutralisation and
combustion and their application in our world.
Students will review the signs that indicate a
chemical reaction has taken place and then apply
this knowledge to their investigations.
Students will be able to:
• recall the signs that a chemical reaction has taken place;
• explain the formation of new substances in a chemical
reaction is due to a rearrangement of the atoms;
• investigate changes to determine if a chemical reaction
has taken place;
• plan appropriate investigation methods to determine
which combination of ingredients produces a gas and
the impact of stirring on chemical reactions in pikelets,
taking account of fair testing;
• make careful and accurate observations;
• construct conclusions based on evidence;
• describe examples of important chemical reactions.
How to use a CLE
The Science ASSIST project is supported by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training through the Mathematics and Science Participation Program.