Showing 1-1 of 1 Responses

Chemical Register information & SDS printing query

Submitted by sat on 24 March 2016

Firstly, it is important to find out and follow your school sector's policies with regard to these matters.

A chemical register is required for compliance with health and safety legislation. Emergency services are more interested in manifest quantities of Dangerous Goods, although it is a good idea to provide an electronic copy of your chemical register to the school administration, so that it can be accessed by emergency services personnel upon request.

We have provided detailed information regarding chemical registers in the answer to a previous question, see Chemical Registers. We recommend that you read the information, including the referenced Safe Work Australia publications, in particular the Hazardous Chemicals Register Information Sheet.

Electronic storage: The register can be stored as a static document, such as a MS Word document or an MS Excel spreadsheet. Storing the information in a spreadsheet gives some advantages, such as being able to sort the list or print just a part of the list. For example, when conducting a stocktake, it may be helpful to sort the list according to its storage location.

The register does not need to be stored using software, which can incorporate links to other information. However, these programs may help your school with other aspects of compliance.

Safety Data Sheets: Regarding the requirement for printed SDSs, it is important that workers have easy access to this information.  Whilst an electronic record would be acceptable, Science ASSIST recommends that schools have a printed copy for easy access, and in the event of a power failure. We have provided detailed information regarding Safety Data Sheets in the answer to a previous question, see Safety Data Sheets.


Safe Work Australia. 2012. Hazardous Chemicals Register Information sheet, Safe Work Australia website, (April 2012)