Look deep down into the Earth
This online resource looks at the nature and structure of the Earth.
- What is inside the Earth, deep below the surface?
- Is it hot or cold; solid or liquid; hard or soft?
- Why does the Earth experience earthquakes?
This ABC Splash video explains the three main layers that make up the Earth and how geological changes below the Earth's surface cause events such as volcanic eruptions and geysers.
The second link allows you to download the graphic used on this page, which distinctly identifies the various parts of the Earth's structure and could be used as a class handout.
- Year 6 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Sudden geological changes and extreme weather events can affect Earth’s surface > ACSSU096
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks contain minerals and are formed by... > ACSSU153
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > The theory of plate tectonics explains global patterns of geological activity... > ACSSU180