W.A.S.P. Year 8 – Rocks and minerals
This online resource supports Year 8 Earth and chemical sciences.
The teaching package provides hands-on activities with teacher support materials to support the Year 8 Earth and Chemical Sciences components of the Australian Curriculum.
The activities are organised into three topics:
- Why Study Rocks?
- Rock Cycle
- Identifying Common Rock Types
- Rocks and Minerals as Resources
- Aboriginal Perspective
The Woodside Australian Science Project (WASP) is an initiative supported by Woodside Energy Limited and Earth Science Western Australia (ESWA). It aims to support the delivery of the Earth Science component of the Australian Curriculum.
An iPad app is also available to support this resource.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, findings and evidence-based solutions to problems using... > ACSIS148
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on scientific investigations including evaluating the quality of the... > ACSIS146
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims... > ACSIS234
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models... > ACSIS144
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and... > ACSIS145
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical change involves substances reacting to form new substances > ACSSU225
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Differences between elements, compounds and mixtures can be described at a... > ACSSU152
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > The properties of the different states of matter can be explained in terms of... > ACSSU151
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks contain minerals and are formed by... > ACSSU153