It's electrifying - PrimaryConnections
This PrimaryConnections unit develops students understanding of the role of electrons in transferring energy in electrical circuits. The students participate in investigations and hands-on activities to explain how battery operated devices such as torches, work. They also examine batteries, light bulbs, switches, conductors and insulators to gain an understanding of electrical energy.
This unit provides students with the opportunities to engage with information about the scientist Alessandro Volta. The are given opportunities to engage with a range of interactive activities including: interactive websites, games and modelling software.
Teaching advice for this unit—the units 'It’s Electrifying' and 'Essential Energy' should be taught in conjunction with each other to conform with the Year 6 physical sciences component of the Science Understanding sub-strand of the Australian Curriculum: Science. It is recommended that the unit 'It’s Electrifying' be taught prior to the unit 'Essential Energy'.
PrimaryConnections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
Refer to your school science resources to determine if your school has access to the PrimaryConnections material. If your school does not have the PrimaryConnections resources, they will need to purchase the unit from the Australian Academy of Science website: http://primaryconnections.org.au/
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS110
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS108
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS104
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer... > ACSIS105
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer... > ACSIS103
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS221
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS107
- Year 6 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Electrical energy can be transferred and transformed in electrical circuits and... > ACSSU097
- Year 6 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE098
- Year 6 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE220