Compare fabric materials
This online resource investigates the different characteristics of materials.
The resource gives instructions for a hands-on activity where students can examine different types of fabrics and learn about their different characteristics.
Using magnifying glasses and sandpaper, students can test and observe the weave and wear quality of fabric samples. By comparing the qualities of different fabrics, they can come to understand why so many different types of fabric exist and are able to recognize and suggest different uses for them.
Some engineers design fabrics and other new materials. Other engineers incorporate those fabrics and materials into the products they design. For some product designs, durability over extended periods of time in rough conditions is important. Durable products do not have to be replaced as often, are typically more cost effective, and create less waste. Testing to understand the physical properties of fabrics aids in deciding their best use.
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on investigations, including whether a test was fair or not > ACSIS069
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Consider the elements of fair tests and use formal measurements and digital... > ACSIS066
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare results with predictions, suggesting possible reasons for findings > ACSIS216
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated... > ACSIS064
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Natural and processed materials have a range of physical properties that can... > ACSSU074