Change Detectives - PrimaryConnections
This online resource details ways of supporting and engaging Year 6 students when learning about physical and chemical changes in everyday materials.
This inquiry-based teaching unit provides advice and outlines tasks and activities that are intended to engage students when exploring reversibile and irreversibile changes through melting, evaporating, dissolving and burning experiences. It includes 7 lesson plans, teacher background information and student worksheets that support its implementation.
PrimaryConnections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS110
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS108
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS104
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS221
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS107
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS232
- Year 6 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Changes to materials can be reversible or irreversible > ACSSU095
- Year 6 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE220