Classification of organisms
During this unit, students observe the similarities and differences between living organisms. They investigate what characteristics determine whether an organism is living or non-living and investigate a variety of organisms to determine their physical characteristics. They explore the five kingdoms of classification to describe differences between vertebrates and invertebrates. They use a key to classify an organism and develop their own classification key. Students also examine how the discovery of DNA has changed the way scientists view the classification of organisms.
This resource is freely available from the Australian Science Teachers Association's (ASTA) ScienceWeb website. No logon or membership is required to access. This unit supplies a variety of resources that includes background information about cyclones, lesson plans and worksheets, research opportunities and simulation activities. This resource provides 5 lesson plans that can be adjusted to suit your students’ needs.
Additionally, this unit has significant links to the Science as a Human Endeavour strands of both Nature and development of science and the Use and influence of science; as it has students examining how the classification of animals has influenced scientific discovery throughout history and how scientists have used classification to aid the study of animals and plants.
- Year 7 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, findings and evidence-based solutions to problems using... > ACSIS133
- Year 7 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models... > ACSIS129
- Year 7 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Classification helps organise the diverse group of organisms > ACSSU111
- Year 7 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science knowledge can develop through collaboration across the disciplines of... > ACSHE223
- Year 7 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Scientific knowledge has changed people's understanding of the world and is... > ACSHE119
- Year 7 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science understanding and skills in their occupations and these have... > ACSHE121