Rock, paper, scissors - Science by Doing
This resource is an inquiry-based learning sequence of hands-on activities, digital interactives, animations and videos that cover materials, properties, the periodic table and elements, states of matter, the kinetic theory of matter, compounds, mixtures and alloys. It also examines physical and chemical reactions with rust as a case study.
There are some lessons that are classified as optional and this allows the teacher to structure the unit to suit different classes. Students will develop laboratory skills while studying a range of physical changes and chemical reactions. Teacher guide, activity sheets and assessment items are available.
This freely available unit of work was produced by the Australian Academy of Science with support from the Australian Government and has been fully aligned to the Australian Curriculum: Science. Access through Scootle requires registration and is only available to Australian teachers. Each lesson is designed to take approximately one hour.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, findings and evidence-based solutions to problems using... > ACSIS148
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on scientific investigations including evaluating the quality of the... > ACSIS146
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims... > ACSIS234
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models... > ACSIS144
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and... > ACSIS145
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical change involves substances reacting to form new substances > ACSSU225
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Differences between elements, compounds and mixtures can be described at a... > ACSSU152
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > The properties of the different states of matter can be explained in terms of... > ACSSU151
- Year 8 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Scientific knowledge has changed people's understanding of the world and is... > ACSHE134
- Year 8 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Solutions to contemporary issues that are found using science and technology... > ACSHE135