Get the porridge just right
This online resource is a step-by-step guide (with pictures) of an experiment using commercially packaged porridge and a microwave to demonstrate the relationship between heat energy and mass.
The experiment should take 15 minutes to complete, and could be set as a homework activity as an introduction to the relationship between themal energy and mass.
Questions that can be asked include: What if another microwave was used? What if more water was added? What if another type of porridge was used?
The original web link for this resource no longer works. The link provided is to the Internet Archive's WayBackMachine's last record of the resource. Proper functionality of this site cannot be guaranteed.
—ASTA_admin 10 August, 2016.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on scientific investigations including evaluating the quality of the... > ACSIS146
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and... > ACSIS145
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Energy appears in different forms including movement (kinetic energy), heat and... > ACSSU155