Ecosystems and change - Science by Doing
This online resource investigates biological systems.
The resource is an inquiry-based learning sequence of hands-on activities, digital interactives, animations and videos that cover systems analysis, human body systems, hormones, tropisms, diseases, pathogens, homeostasis, negative feedback, ecosystems, sampling, food chain, carbon and nitrogen cycles. Students conduct field studies to measure abiotic features and sample biotic components at comparative sites.
Teacher guide, activity sheets and assessment available. The teacher guide is detailed and the unit contains a range of hands-on activities, digital interactives, inquiries and classroom activities for Year 9 ecosystems and regulation. The unit of work is very extensive and there are many activities that are classified as optional as a result. This allows teachers to modify the course to suit their students.
This unit of Science by Doing is available through Scootle and requires a logon through your local Australian jurisdiction.
Some of the Scootle resources are Flash-based and therefore do not work on iPads and may not work on the Chrome web browser beyond December 2020.
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose,... > ACSIS174
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Critically analyse the validity of information in primary and secondary sources... > ACSIS172
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Evaluate conclusions, including identifying sources of uncertainty and possible... > ACSIS171
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Plan, select and use appropriate investigation types, including field work and... > ACSIS165
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to... > ACSIS166
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Analyse patterns and trends in data, including describing relationships between... > ACSIS169
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent... > ACSIS170
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic... > ACSSU176
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Multi-cellular organisms rely on coordinated and interdependent internal... > ACSSU175
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims,... > ACSHE160