Plate tectonics - ScienceWeb
This online resource looks at the theory of tectonic plates.
The resource is a series of 5 lessons that examine the Earth’s structure and the history behind the theory of tectonic plates. It also examines the impact of earthquakes and the role scientists play in detecting and preparing for such events.
There are a number of small lesson packages which cover all aspects of this topic and teachers can handpick the lessons or parts of the lessons which best suit their class and integrate these into their course.
You will need access to a printer for some activities which include printable worksheets, flash cards etc. as well as access to the internet.
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose,... > ACSIS174
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Critically analyse the validity of information in primary and secondary sources... > ACSIS172
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Plan, select and use appropriate investigation types, including field work and... > ACSIS165
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to... > ACSIS166
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Analyse patterns and trends in data, including describing relationships between... > ACSIS169
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent... > ACSIS170
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > The theory of plate tectonics explains global patterns of geological activity... > ACSSU180
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Advances in scientific understanding often rely on technological advances and... > ACSHE158
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Scientific understanding, including models and theories, are contestable and... > ACSHE157
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims,... > ACSHE161
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of... > ACSHE228