Solids, Liquids and Gases - ScienceWeb
This online resource investigates the states of matter.
The resource is a unit of work that reviews the properties of solids and liquids before looking more specifically at the observable properties and behaviours of gases and how gas is used in our everyday lives.
Activities include: how adding and removing heat can impact on the properties of gas, and the effects and some of the safety implications of compressing a gas.
Through class discussions, group tasks and scientific investigations, students develop an understanding of how the observable properties and behaviours of matter are used to help classify substances and consider why some substances are difficult to classify.
The unit comprises activities for at least 5 lessons, plus ideas and web links for extension activities or further explanation. Opportunities to develop the following General Capabilities are evident.
- Critical and Creative Thinking (Identify and clarify ideas and information, Pose questions, Organise and process information)
- Literacy (Use language to interact with others, Compose and edit learning area texts)
- Personal and Social (Work collaboratively, Communicate effectively)
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS091
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS087
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS231
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Solids, liquids and gases have different observable properties and behave in... > ACSSU077