Be energy efficient
This online resource developed by the Field of Mars Environmental Education Centre is a downloadable PDF about being energy efficient which is suitable for Year 8s.
This is a complete unit of work in which students develop understandings and knowledge about energy, how it is generated and used, why energy efficiency is important, and how it can be conserved at home and at school. The students can apply this knowledge through the design of an energy efficient building and plan and take actions that reduces energy consumption at their school. Through this process, the students will develop energy efficient attitudes and behaviours.
The resource is a 44-page PDF booklet with the following sections:
- Exploring energy,
- School energy snapshot,
- Energy efficiencies,
- Design and make an energy efficient model building,
- What needs to change,
- Options for change,
- Action project planning,
- Project implementation,
- Evaluation and reflection.
The PDF also contains additional resources and student worksheets.
Although not written specifically for the Australian Curriculum:Science, the booklet has many useful activities and teacher background information. Be aware that some references specfic to NSW appear throughout the booklet. The student photos that feature in the booklet show primary students but the content is suitable for Year 8s. Teachers could choose some of the activities to incorporate into their teaching plans.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, findings and evidence-based solutions to problems using... > ACSIS148
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims... > ACSIS234
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and... > ACSIS145
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Energy appears in different forms including movement (kinetic energy), heat and... > ACSSU155