Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and detailed method including photographs for how to perform a chicken wing dissection.
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and detailed method including photographs for how to perform a brain dissection.
Updated November 2017
This downloadable document contains quick links to the technical laboratory questions which have been answered by Science ASSIST.
Updated November 2017
This downloadable document contains quick links to the technical resources that have been developed by Science ASSIST.
This ASSIST Information Sheet (AIS) explores latex allergies: What is a latex allergy? Those at risk, signs and symptoms. Items containing latex in schools.
Safety issues are a significant consideration in the teaching of microbiology as the subject is practical-based and there is potential for exposure to infectious organisms.
The Chemical Management Handbook was developed by Science ASSIST in recognition of a need for guidance on the safe handling, storage and waste disposal of chemicals in schools.
In this investigation, students explore the properties of gases and liquids. They will follow instructions to predict the effect of changing a variable when planning an investigation.
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS093
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS091
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS087
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer... > ACSIS086
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS218
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS231
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Solids, liquids and gases have different observable properties and behave in... > ACSSU077
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE081
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE217
This downloadable ASSIST Information sheet outlines the suggested and alternative sterilisation techniques for the in-house preparation of sterile equipment used in microbiology.
This downloadable ASSIST information sheet (AIS) outlines the procedures suitable for the decontamination of Risk Group 1 microbes used in a Physical Containment level 1 laboratory.