Science ASSIST is a national online advisory service for Australian school science educators and technicians created by the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA) in consultation with Science Education Technicians Australia (SETA) and is managed and maintained by ASTA.
- Registered user means any user of the site that has registered with the site. It also covers people who have registered for the Science ASSIST e-newsletter.
- Subscriber means any user of the site that has a valid subscription to the service.
- Personal information is information about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
- Website means the Science ASSIST website with the URL address of https://assist.asta.edu.au/
1. Personal information we collect
Science ASSIST collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary to deliver our products and services or otherwise conduct the functions and activities of Science ASSIST, or as required by law.
In so doing, we may collect such personal information as:
- your name;
- your employment/school contact details;
- your role within your organisation;
- payment details and credit card information;
- information relating to products and services we have provided to you, or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries;
- information relating to you that you provide to us directly, or indirectly, through your contact with us or your use of our website, social media sites, mobile applications, electronic media or other related resources or sites;
- information to enhance your experience of our products and services, activities, events, website, social media sites, mobile applications or other related resources or sites;
- your IP address, related domain, browser, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from sites, ad data, device ID, device type, geo-location information;
- information you provide to us through surveys, activities, events, competitions, sponsorship or marketing and advertising communications;
- any other personal information relevant to your relationship with us.
We will only collect sensitive information with your consent, or as required by law.
2. How we collect personal information
We collect personal information from you in a variety of ways including:
- when you register as a user of our website or mobile applications;
- when you subscribe to our service;
- in face-to-face meetings or in telephone conversations;
- in postal, phone, facsimile, email, electronic, mobile application or social media correspondence;
- in forms, surveys, or questionnaires filled out by you;
- when you request information from us;
- when you register, use or interact with our products and services, content, publications, resources, events, activities, marketing or advertising;
We may also collect personal information about you from third parties where it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect it from you.
3. How we use personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information in order to deliver our products and services. The main purposes for which we handle personal information include:
- purposes related to contacting you or your school/organisation;
- in relation to events that you have registered for, including your school/organisation name, trading name, contact details for use in attendee lists, or similar, for the benefit of all registered attendees;
- to maintain contact with you;
- to inform you of, and enable your access, interaction and use of, our products and services, events, activities, website, social media sites, mobile applications and related resources and sites;
- to develop, operate and improve our products and services, events, activities, website, social media sites, mobile applications and related resources and sites, including your experience and interaction with us, such as performing analytics, conducting research and for marketing and advertising;
- to communicate marketing and advertising information and other news, information, or opportunities that we consider may be of interest to you;
- to administer forms, surveys or questionnaires, and other promotional activities or events funded, sponsored or managed by us;
- to respond to requests, queries and complaints;
- for general management and reporting purposes;
- for internal record keeping;
- to comply with legal obligations.
4. When we disclose personal information
Science ASSIST does not sell or otherwise disclose personal information to third parties unless:
- you give your consent;
- the use or disclosure is required or otherwise permitted by laws, regulations or professional standards.
Science ASSIST may share non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information for research, funding, grants, sponsorship, tender or promotional purposes.
5. Using our website, mobile application, etc.
We may collect personal information about you when you access and use our website, social media sites, mobile applications or other related sites and applications through the use of web browser cookies.
While we do not use this browsing information to identify you personally, we may record certain information about your use of our website or related sites and applications, such as which pages you visit, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol address assigned to your computer.
You can disable cookies through your internet browser but please be aware that our website and related sites and applications may not work as intended if you do so.
6. Protecting your personal information
We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to protect personal information, whether held electronically or in hard copy form, from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Accuracy of information
We will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information we collect, use, or disclose is accurate, up to date and complete for the purpose for which it is collected.
Access and corrections
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you. We will provide access to this information where reasonable and practicable to do so, and in accordance with the provisions of the Australian Privacy Act 1988.
You may request correction to the personal information we hold about you. We will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct your personal information as requested to ensure it is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
Making a complaint
We will ensure that complaints regarding alleged breaches of privacy are investigated swiftly. If you wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, you can contact us via the details below. Please include your name, contact telephone number and email address and clearly describe your complaint. If you feel we have not resolved your complaint satisfactorily, you can refer your complaint directly to the Australian Privacy Commissioner.
How to contact us about privacy
For further information, or to access or correct your personal information, or make a complaint, please contact us on +61 2 6282 9377 or via email at [email protected]