Big Bag Ban
This online resource examines issues concerning biodegradable plastic bags.
The resource details a student activity where students examine biodegradable plastic bags as a possible alternative to ordinary plastic bags.
The EU has approved tough new measures to slash the use of plastic bags. New targets were implemented to force each country to reduce plastic bag use by 80% before 2019.
In this activity students choose questions to ask experts, and come to a reasoned decision in answer to the dilemma question: will biodegradable plastic bags solve the problems caused by ordinary plastic bags?
Australian Curriculum v9 Codes: AC9S9U07 (Year 9)
To download materials from the Engage website, teachers must create an account using a current email address.
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Critically analyse the validity of information in primary and secondary sources... > ACSIS172
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Evaluate conclusions, including identifying sources of uncertainty and possible... > ACSIS171
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical reactions involve rearranging atoms to form new substances; during a... > ACSSU178
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical reactions, including combustion and the reactions of acids, are... > ACSSU179
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims,... > ACSHE160
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific... > ACSHE228