Climate Change and Coral Bleaching
This online resource examines the bleaching of coral due to climate change.
The website provides detailed information on the role of rising ocean temperatures and ocean acidification in coral bleaching. It uses a variety of videos, animations and hyperlinks to present complex information in an interesting and accessible format suitable for Year 9 and 10 students.
The site provides information on the structure of coral and analyses the relationship between coral and its algal symbiont. It then goes on to examine the effects of increasing temperature on the alga and how this impacts on the coral.
The implications of coral bleaching and ability of the coral to recover are also investigated.
The site provides hyperlinks to other sites to provide additional in-depth information. It also provides access to, and a mechanism for, asking questions of experts in the field.
- Year 10 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Global systems, including the carbon cycle, rely on interactions involving the... > ACSSU189
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose,... > ACSIS174
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Analyse patterns and trends in data, including describing relationships between... > ACSIS169
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent... > ACSIS170
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic... > ACSSU176
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical reactions, including combustion and the reactions of acids, are... > ACSSU179
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims,... > ACSHE160
- Year 9 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of... > ACSHE228