The Future of Plastics
This online resource provides information on the current status and future use of plastics in Australia.
The webpage examines the need for a new source of plastics which reduces the pressure on demand for fossil fuels in their production and the impact of this use of fossil fuels on the environment.
A new range of plastics known as bioplastics are introduced and detailed information about their origins and their differing abilities to decompose safely in the environment is provided.
The resource provides links to graphical data on the use of plastics and the increasing market demand for bioplastics.
This new technology demonstrates the way in which the needs of society are driving research and outlines the environmental pros and cons of bioplastics. There is a moderate amount of chemical discussion, but the chemistry is addressed in a manner which makes it accessible to Year 9 and 10 students.
- Year 10 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Different types of chemical reactions are used to produce a range of products... > ACSSU187
- Year 10 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Global systems, including the carbon cycle, rely on interactions involving the... > ACSSU189
- Year 10 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims,... > ACSHE195
- Year 10 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of... > ACSHE230
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Chemical reactions, including combustion and the reactions of acids, are... > ACSSU179