Plasticine Investigators - Year 1 CLE
This online resource introduces students to the concepts of physical change.
The resource is an ASSIST Connected Learning Experience (CLE) to help teach Year 1 students about the concepts of physical change.
Description: In these investigations, the physical changes made to plasticine when it is manipulated in different ways, including the softening of the material by warming, are investigated.
Students will be able to:
- understand how materials can be changed by interacting physically with the material (plasticine) [including temperature change];
- understand and use appropriate scientific vocabulary to describe and compare properties of materials;
- measure by comparing objects, or by using informal units;
- identify and explore information and ideas;
- respond to questions, make predictions, and participate in guided investigations;
- follow instructions to record (including the option of using digital technologies) and to sort their observations and share them with others
New Australian Curriculum Codes: AC9SFU03 (Foundation), AC9S2U03 (Year 2)
The Connected Learning Experience Resource
A Connected Learning Experience (CLE) is a resource package designed to support the use of inquiry investigations in the classroom.
Each CLE may not encompass all the concepts and skills addressed in the specific content descriptions outlined by the Australian Curriculum: Science for that Year level. The Learning Intentions clearly define the aims and objectives of the CLE.
Year 1 Achievement Standard
By the end of Year 1, students describe objects and events that they encounter in their everyday lives, and the effects of interacting with materials and objects. They describe changes in their local environment and how different places meet the needs of living things.
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways > ACSIS029
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions > ACSIS025
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided... > ACSIS027
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and... > ACSIS024
- Year 1 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Everyday materials can be physically changed in a variety of ways > ACSSU018
- Year 1 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves observing, asking questions about, and describing changes in,... > ACSHE021