The effects of force and mass on motion
This is a student practical activity that focuses on Newton’s second law. Students time how long it takes a dynamics trolley to travel a set distance along a runway under a given force. The force is then doubled and the time re-measured. Mass is then doubled and the time re-measured.
Teaching notes are included and related experiments are also listed.
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose,... > ACSIS208
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Analyse patterns and trends in data, including describing relationships between... > ACSIS203
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent... > ACSIS204
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Formulate questions or hypotheses that can be investigated scientifically > ACSIS198
- Year 10 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > The motion of objects can be described and predicted using the laws of physics > ACSSU229
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences