This downloadable information sheet is intended to serve as an instructional guide on how to carry out and document a risk assessment using the Science ASSIST risk assessment template.
This downloadable document gives the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and detailed method for the handling, storage and transportation of compressed gas cylinders in school science areas.
Updated September 2016
This Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) contains a detailed method for how to perform a rat dissection.
This online resource investigates friction in a rolling toy car.
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations, ideas and findings using formal and... > ACSIS071
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on investigations, including whether a test was fair or not > ACSIS069
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > With guidance, plan and conduct scientific investigations to find answers to... > ACSIS065
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent... > ACSIS068
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated... > ACSIS064
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a... > ACSSU076
- Year 4 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships > ACSHE061
This online resource is an ASSIST Connected Learning Experience (CLE) to help teach Year 5 students about the planets in the solar system.
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS093
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS231
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > The Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun) > ACSSU078
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE081
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE217
This online resource is a teaching unit intended to support a Year 1 teacher when investigating the science of sound with students in the early years.
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and detailed method including images on how to prepare animal and plant cell slides
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Cells are the basic units of living things and have specialised structures and... > ACSSU149
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences
This downloadable ASSIST information sheet (AIS) outlines the procedures suitable for the decontamination of Risk Group 1 microbes used in a Physical Containment level 1 laboratory.
This downloadable ASSIST Information sheet outlines the suggested and alternative sterilisation techniques for the in-house preparation of sterile equipment used in microbiology.
Safety issues are a significant consideration in the teaching of microbiology as the subject is practical-based and there is potential for exposure to infectious organisms.