Safety issues are a significant consideration in the teaching of microbiology as the subject is practical-based and there is potential for exposure to infectious organisms.
The Chemical Management Handbook was developed by Science ASSIST in recognition of a need for guidance on the safe handling, storage and waste disposal of chemicals in schools.
This downloadable ASSIST Information sheet outlines the suggested and alternative sterilisation techniques for the in-house preparation of sterile equipment used in microbiology.
This downloadable ASSIST information sheet (AIS) outlines the procedures suitable for the decontamination of Risk Group 1 microbes used in a Physical Containment level 1 laboratory.
This worksheet provides a well-illustrated procedure for an investigation that uses leaf disks to show photosynthesis in action.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Multi-cellular organisms contain systems of organs that carry out specialised... > ACSSU150
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Plan, select and use appropriate investigation types, including field work and... > ACSIS165
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Formulate questions or hypotheses that can be investigated scientifically > ACSIS164
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic... > ACSSU176
Nicole Miller, Bachelor of Science student at the University of South Australia, presents a video on the value of teaching the scientific process to children.
Labelling of solutions: This may have been asked before but do diluted solutions of chemicals need to be labeled with the new GHS and if so, do the ones that I have now have to be re-labeled or is
Labelling silver nitrate and silver nitrate solutions: I am labeling some Silver nitrate solution with Gold FFX and saw that it doesn't come up with any Pictograms but says it is harmful to aquatic
Science ASSIST resources and copyright: Are we permitted to copy paste and edit for our particular school, the SOPs on Science Assist?
Animal skeleton: One of our teachers can get a sheep skeleton from someone. The sheep died in a field and the bones are now devoid of any flesh.