1: TEACHER SUPPORT
3: DIGITAL CONTENT
• Planning ahead and
• Teaching and learning plan
(including safety notes)
• Further lessons
• Visit your local observatory
Science Understanding / Earth and
space sciences / Year 5
In this investigation, students will use a model to represent the scale
of distances between objects in the solar system. Students will under-
stand that scientific discoveries about space have been made by a
range of people from different cultures, and that these have been
used to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives on Earth.
Students will conduct research on space exploration to determine
whether space tourism is viable.
Students will be able to:
• use a scale model to demonstrate the distances
between the planets in our solar system;
• understand that a model is a representation of
some aspect of the real world, which can be useful
in developing our understanding of that aspect;
• understand the vast distances within the solar
• discuss how scientific discoveries in space have
affected people’s lives;
• draw conclusions about the probability of space
travel and space tourism.
How to use a CLE
The Science ASSIST project is supported by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training through the Mathematics and Science Participation Program.