Earthquake Explorers - Primary Connections
This unit of work investigates earthquakes.
The resource provides full information for a unit of work in which students explore how sudden geological changes and extreme weather conditions can affect the Earth's surface.
In the unit, students examine the causes and effects of earthquake and study how the magnitude, intensity and effects of earthquakes are measured.
Students will be introduced to current scientific knowledge about earthquakes and tectonic plates and be able to develop their understanding of how earthquakes are caused by modelling these changes with hands-on investigations.
Students can also explore how scientists use technology to collect information about earthquakes and investigate and compare earthquake activity in the Asia-Pacific region.
Australian Curriculum v9 Codes: AC9S8U03 (Year 8)
This unit also focuses on the Cross-curricular priorities of Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia and sustainability. The unit has students investigating earthquake data from countries in the Asia-Pacific region and developing an understanding of the differing magnitudes of earthquakes within the region. Students can explore the dramatic effects of the movement of the Earth's tectonic plates and how this affects the people and environment.
PrimaryConnections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
Refer to your school science resources to determine if your school has access to the Primary Connections materials. If your school does not have access to the PrimaryConnections resources visit the Australian Academy of Science's PrimaryConnection website to find out more about the program. http://primaryconnections.org.au/
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS110
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS108
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS104
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer... > ACSIS103
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS221
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS107
- Year 6 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS232
- Year 6 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Sudden geological changes and extreme weather events can affect Earth’s surface > ACSSU096
- Year 6 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE098
- Year 6 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE100