Energy - Science by Doing
This online resource is an inquiry-based learning sequence covering the different aspects of energy covered by the Australian Curriculum: Science.
The resource includes: hands-on activities, digital interactives, animations and videos, and the topics covered include: energy types, gravity, mass, weight, inertia, work, force, simple machines, friction, heat, conduction, evaporation, convection, specific heat, temperature, light spectrum, cyclones, circuits, battery, motors and generators, force fields, food chains, photosynthesis, and energy production.
Students learn to identify heat transfer and design a model house that can passively maintain a comfortable temperature.
Teacher guide, activity sheets and assessment available.
Science by Doing is an initiative of the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian teachers through Scootle.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, findings and evidence-based solutions to problems using... > ACSIS148
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on scientific investigations including evaluating the quality of the... > ACSIS146
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims... > ACSIS234
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models... > ACSIS144
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and... > ACSIS145
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Energy appears in different forms including movement (kinetic energy), heat and... > ACSSU155
- Year 8 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Scientific knowledge has changed people's understanding of the world and is... > ACSHE134
- Year 8 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science understanding and skills in their occupations and these have... > ACSHE136