Lighting the slums of the Philippines
This online resource shows a household demonstration of the refraction of light.
The resource is a 2-minute video concerning how light travels and can be bent using simple technology.
In the slums of a neighbourhood in the Philippines, the houses are so close together that they get very little natural light. A Filipino man uses a recycled PET bottle filled with water and a little bleach to solve the problem.
This video that could be used as a provocation for discussing how light travels and can be bent, and for discussing how science knowledge helps us to solve problems.
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Natural and processed materials have a range of physical properties that can... > ACSSU074
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Light from a source forms shadows and can be absorbed, reflected and refracted > ACSSU080
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE081
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE217
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve... > ACSHE083