Weathering, erosion, landforms and regolith
This online resource is a PDF that provides information on the earth sciences and the mapping of mineral resources in Australia.
This resource was developed by the AGSO (Australian Geological Survey Organisation), a Commonweallth advisory body established in 1992 to provide information on the earth sciences and mapping of mineral resources in Australia. The PDF provides information for science and geography teachers under a creative commons license.
The booklet outlines the processes of weathering, erosion and deposition for both teachers and students. Detailed information on different types of weathering is accompanied by photos and clear images to support the information and provides in-depth explanations for the development of well-known landforms such as The Twelve Apostles, the Bungle Bungle Ranges, Purnululu (the Devil's Marbles), Uluru, the Jenolan Caves and the Nullabor. Information on soil issues such as salinity and acid soils and mineral resources is also provided. The Aboriginal perspective is addressed through an explanation of the importance of the regolith and taboo country to Indigenous Australians.
This resource also provides a variety of student worksheets including teacher demonstrations, practical investigations, group work and an assessment task. Concepts covered by the worksheets include rates of weathering, factors affecting physical and chemical weathering, mapping exercises and erosion. Answers for these worksheets are also provided.
This resource would be particularly helpful to teachers developing a unit of work on Earth processes and the Australian landscape.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims... > ACSIS234
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models... > ACSIS144
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks contain minerals and are formed by... > ACSSU153
- Year 8 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science understanding and skills in their occupations and these have... > ACSHE136