What's the Matter? Primary Connections
This unit of work introduces students to the different states of matter.
The resource details ways of supporting and engaging Year 5 students when learning about the states of matter and the properties of solids, liquids and gases.
This inquiry-based teaching unit provides advice and outlines tasks and activities that are intended to engage students when investigating the properties of solids, liquids and gases.
It includes 7 lesson plans, teacher background information and student worksheets that support its implementation.
Australian Curriculum v9 Codes: AC9S5U04 (Year 5)
Primary Connections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
Refer to your school science resources to determine if your school has access to the Primary Connections materials. If your school does not have access to the PrimaryConnections resources visit the Australian Academy of Science's Primary Connection website to find out more about the program. http://primaryconnections.org.au/
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS093
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on and suggest improvements to scientific investigations > ACSIS091
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS087
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer... > ACSIS086
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS218
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS231
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Chemical Sciences > Solids, liquids and gases have different observable properties and behave in... > ACSSU077
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE081
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE083