Being a soil scientist (QCAT)
This online resource is an assessment task where students conduct an investigation into the factors affecting and controlling erosion.
The resource includes detailed background information about the science concepts, a student worksheet, a continua model of task-specific standards for A–E assessment, suggestions for student feedback and links to the Australian Curriculum.
The student booklet is used in conjunction with QCAT teacher notes. An alternative video link is provided.
The following General Capabilities could be developed in this activity: critical and creative thinking, ethical understanding.
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations, ideas and findings using formal and... > ACSIS071
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > With guidance, plan and conduct scientific investigations to find answers to... > ACSIS065
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare results with predictions, suggesting possible reasons for findings > ACSIS216
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated... > ACSIS064
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Earth’s surface changes over time as a result of natural processes and human... > ACSSU075
- Year 4 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships > ACSHE061
- Year 4 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions > ACSHE062