Space explorers - Year 5 CLE
This online resource teaches about the planets in the solar system.
The resource is an ASSIST Connected Learning Experience (CLE) to help teach Year 5 students about the planets in the solar system.
Description: In this investigation, students research, collect and use data about the planets in our solar system, in order to assess their suitability for human settlement.
Students will be able to:
- identify and describe the features of the planets in our solar system;
- understand that scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions;
- use data and evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomenon;
- pose questions to clarify practical problems;
- predict findings of an investigation;
- use tables to organise data;
- identify patterns in their data and use this as evidence in developing explanations.
The Connected Learning Experience Resource
A Connected Learning Experience (CLE) is a resource package designed to support the use of inquiry investigations in the classroom.
Each CLE may not encompass all the concepts and skills addressed in the specific content descriptions outlined by the Australian Curriculum: Science for that Year level. The Learning Intentions clearly define the aims and objectives of the CLE.
Year 5 Achievement Standard
This lesson sequence provides opportunities to gather information about students’ achievement of specific components in the standards (which are bolded in the statements below)
By the end of Year 5, students classify substances according to their observable properties and behaviours. They explain everyday phenomena associated with the transfer of light. They describe the key features of our solar system. They analyse how the form of living things enables them to function in their environments. Students discuss how scientific developments have affected people’s lives, help us solve problems and how science knowledge develops from many people’s contributions.
Students follow instructions to pose questions for investigation and predict the effect of changing variables when planning an investigation. They use equipment in ways that are safe and improve the accuracy of their observations. Students construct tables and graphs to organise data and identify patterns in the data. They compare patterns in their data with predictions when suggesting explanations. They describe ways to improve the fairness of their investigations, and communicate their ideas and findings using multimodal texts.
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS093
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific... > ACSIS231
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > The Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun) > ACSSU078
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to... > ACSHE081
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE083