Animal Habitats - Year 1 CLE
This Connected Learning Experience introduces the idea of animal habitats.
Description: In this investigation, living things that live in particular habitats are investigated in the context of habitats being places that provide many of the needs of living things and so contribute to their survival.
Students will be able to:
- describe the features of a habitat in the local environment that meets the needs of living things
- understand that living things thrive and survive in habitats that meet their needs
- pose questions and make predictions about the habitats of living things
- participate in a guided investigation of habitats of living things
- follow instructions to record and sort their observations about the habitats of living things.
New Australian Curriculum Codes: AC9S1U01 (Year 1)
A Connected Learning Experience (CLE) is a resource package designed to support the use of inquiry investigations in the classroom.
Each CLE may not encompass all the concepts and skills addressed in the specific content descriptions outlined by the Australian Curriculum: Science for that Year level. The Learning Intentions clearly define the aims and objectives of the CLE.
Year 1 Achievement Standard
This lesson sequence provides opportunities to gather information about students’ achievement of specific components in the standards (which are bolded in the statements below).
By the end of Year 1, students describe objects and events that they encounter in their everyday lives, and the effects of interacting with materials and objects. They describe changes in their local environment and how the different places meet the needs of living things. Students respond to questions, make predictions, and participate in guided investigations of everyday phenomena. They follow instructions to record and sort their observations and share them with others.
Relevant prior curriculum knowledge
Science / Foundation Year /Science Understanding
Living things have basic needs, including food and water (ACSSU002)
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways > ACSIS029
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Compare observations with those of others > ACSIS213
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions > ACSIS025
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and... > ACSIS024
- Year 1 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Living things live in different places where their needs are met > ACSSU211
- Year 1 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their... > ACSHE022