Light shows - PrimaryConnections
This online resource helps teach younger students about light.
The resource is a unit of work where students learn how the reflection, absorption and refraction of light enables them to see.
It includes eight structured lessons, guiding students through an integrated sequence based on the 5Es learning model.
It also includes comprehensive lesson plans, activities, student handouts and additional teaching support material.
This resource includes background science information for teachers and also gives opportunities to develop aspects of the General Capabilities, with a particular focus on Literacy.
It is recommended that teachers teach the concepts about light prior to teaching about the Solar System as this will assist the student's understanding of how we see different objects in space.
This unit of work was produced by the Australian Academy of Science with support from the Australian Government and has been fully aligned with the Australian Curriculum: Physical Sciences for Year 5.
PrimaryConnections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Communicate ideas, explanations and processes using scientific representations... > ACSIS093
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and... > ACSIS087
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations > ACSIS218
- Year 5 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to... > ACSIS090
- Year 5 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Light from a source forms shadows and can be absorbed, reflected and refracted > ACSSU080
- Year 5 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and... > ACSHE217