Investigating eggs in stories and science
This online resource details a teaching unit for engaging and supporting the learning of Year 2 students about the life cycles of egg-laying animals.
This unit of work is constructed around 12 learning sequences, which vary in duration. It includes hatching chickens, the life cycle of a chicken, writing an information report and a literature study.
Each sequence offers practical advice, probing questions and other teaching and learning experiences.
There are two assessment tasks. The first involves an information report on an egg-laying animal and the second, a character profile.
It would support a teacher planning for either English or Science.
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways > ACSIS042
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions using... > ACSIS038
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and... > ACSIS037
- Year 2 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves > ACSSU030
- Year 2 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their... > ACSHE035