Broken Max Min Thermometer: We have some max min mercury thermometers here, and yesterday one of them was broken by a cleaner. The broken thermometer gives off an overpowering odour, it was e
Recommended Chemicals for secondary Schools: I have to order new chemicals for our school in QLD, but the following chemicals are not in the list "List_of_recommended_chemicals-18March-2016.
Calcium Carbide: My teachers are wondering whether there are any restrictions on us storing and using Calcium carbide for pracs here at school?
Mitosis in onion root tip: Are there alternative stains for mitosis in root tips please? It needs to be inexpensive (I've been quoted $150 for 5 gm orcein, including postage), not too hazardous,
Balloons: I haven't heard of any issues but we have a parent who is concerned with regards to balloons and latex and the powder residue in them.
Safety issues are a significant consideration in the teaching of microbiology as the subject is practical-based and there is potential for exposure to infectious organisms.
The Chemical Management Handbook was developed by Science ASSIST in recognition of a need for guidance on the safe handling, storage and waste disposal of chemicals in schools.
This downloadable ASSIST Information sheet outlines the suggested and alternative sterilisation techniques for the in-house preparation of sterile equipment used in microbiology.
This downloadable ASSIST information sheet (AIS) outlines the procedures suitable for the decontamination of Risk Group 1 microbes used in a Physical Containment level 1 laboratory.
This online resource provides a way of demonstrating photosynthesis in action.
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation... > ACSIS140
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Measure and control variables, select equipment appropriate to the task and... > ACSIS141
- Year 8 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and... > ACSIS139
- Year 8 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Multi-cellular organisms contain systems of organs that carry out specialised... > ACSSU150
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Plan, select and use appropriate investigation types, including field work and... > ACSIS165
- Year 9 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Formulate questions or hypotheses that can be investigated scientifically > ACSIS164
- Year 9 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic... > ACSSU176