Forces Without Contact - Student Misconceptions
This online resource is about teaching non-contact forces.
The resource provides teaching strategies for teaching about non-contact forces such as gravity, magnetism and electrostatic attraction.
It includes a discussion of student misconceptions and how they compare with the scientific view, as well as activities to complete with your class.
Critical teaching ideas covered.
- Some objects experience forces from things that are not touching them.
- Magnets can be used to make other magnets and things made of iron move without being touched.
- Something that has been electrically charged can make other things move without touching them.
- Things near the Earth fall toward the Earth unless something holds them up. The Earth pulls any object towards the centre of the Earth without touching it.
New Australian Curriculum 9 Codes: AC9S4U03 (Year 4)
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a... > ACSSU076