Sound and Hearing - CLE
This Connected Learning Experience (CLE) introduces younger students to the concepts of sound and hearing.
Description: In this investigation, sound and hearing are investigated in the context of the many sources of sound sensed in the environment and how this sound is sensed.
Students will be able to:
- identify that sound is produced by vibrations and can be sensed;
- demonstrate that sound can travel through a range of materials;
- produce, identify and compare sounds using a range of objects;
- identify and sort sounds using volume as a criterion;
- identify and sort sounds using pitch as a criterion.
New Australian Curriculum Codes: AC9S2U02 (Year 2)
The Connected Learning Experience Resource
A Connected Learning Experience (CLE) is a resource package designed to support the use of inquiry investigations in the classroom.
Each CLE may not encompass all the concepts and skills addressed in the specific content descriptions outlined by the Australian Curriculum: Science for that Year level. The Learning Intentions clearly define the aims and objectives of the CLE.
Year 1 Achievement Standard
This lesson sequence provides opportunities to gather information about students’ achievement of specific components in the standards (which are bolded in the statements below).
By the end of Year 1, students describe objects and events that they encounter in their everyday lives, and the effects of interacting with materials and objects. They identify a range of habitats. They describe changes to things in their local environment and suggest how science helps people care for environments. Students make predictions, and investigate everyday phenomena. They follow instructions to record and sort their observations and share their observations with others.
Relevant prior curriculum knowledge
Science / Foundation / Science Inquiry Skills
Explore and make observations by using the senses (ACSIS011)
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Communicating > Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways > ACSIS029
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions > ACSIS025
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided... > ACSIS027
- Year 1 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and... > ACSIS024
- Year 1 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Light and sound are produced by a range of sources and can be sensed > ACSSU020
- Year 1 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves observing, asking questions about, and describing changes in,... > ACSHE021