Beneath our feet - PrimaryConnections
This online resource investigates soils, rocks and the landscape.
The resource provides opportunities for students to explore how natural processes and human activity shape their surroundings.
Students’ understanding of soils, rocks and landscapes and how they change over time is developed through hands-on activities and student-planned investigations.
Students also investigate factors that affect the erosion of soils.
The unit provides opportunities to develop General Capabilities, in particular
- critical and creative thinking
The Cross Curriculum priority of Sustainability is also developed by:
- discussing mechanisms of erosion and how these can affect soils and landscapes;
- developing understanding of how human impact on the environment affects soils and landscapes;
- developing knowledge, skills and values for making decisions about individual and community actions that contribute to sustainable patterns of use of the Earth’s natural resources.
PrimaryConnections is a program developed by the Australian Academy of Science and is freely available to Australian educators through the National Digital Learning Resources Network via either the Scootle website or your local jurisdictional portal. This process requires registration on one of these sites and you will be asked to log in to access these resources.
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Earth and Space Sciences > Earth’s surface changes over time as a result of natural processes and human... > ACSSU075