Using genetic crosses to analyse stickleback traits
This online resource explores Mendelian genetics.
The resource gives details for a hands-on activity where Mendelian genetics are used to analyse the results of genetic crosses between stickleback fish with different traits.
Students use photos of actual research specimens (the F1 and F2 cards) to obtain their data; they then analyse the data they collected along with additional data from the scientific literature.
Australian Curriculum v9 Codes: AC9S10U01 (Year 10)
These resources are produced by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Includes extension activity using chi-square statistics.
Stickleback virtual lab https://www.biointeractive.org/classroom-resources/stickleback-evolution... (Link updated July 2019).
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Critically analyse the validity of information in primary and secondary sources... > ACSIS206
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Evaluate conclusions, including identifying sources of uncertainty and possible... > ACSIS205
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Analyse patterns and trends in data, including describing relationships between... > ACSIS203
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent... > ACSIS204
- Year 10 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Formulate questions or hypotheses that can be investigated scientifically > ACSIS198
- Year 10 > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences > Transmission of heritable characteristics from one generation to the next... > ACSSU184
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting
- Year Senior Secondary > Science Understanding > Biological Sciences