Friction is a force - student misconceptions
This online resource provides teaching strategies for teaching about friction as a contact force. It includes critical teaching ideas and research about student alternative conceptions.
Critical teaching ideas covered.
- Explaining friction as the idea that all surfaces have tiny bumps.
- When two surfaces slide over one another the tiny bumps push on each other.
- Friction causes a force on a surface which is in the opposite direction to its motion.
- Friction can be reduced by the application of lubricants.
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a... > ACSSU076