Investigating Contact and Non-Contact Forces
These downloadable resources explore contact and non-contact forces.
The resources are MS Word documents that detail investigations to help younger students explore non-contact forces (e.g., magnetism and gravity) and contact forces (e.g., friction and air resistance).
These forces are investigated through three activities: balloon rockets, magnet strength, and a rolling car.
The documents also include support materials and the appropriate links to the Australian Curriculum: Science.
New Australian Curriculum 9 Codes: AC9S4U03 (Year 4)
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Reflect on investigations, including whether a test was fair or not > ACSIS069
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Consider the elements of fair tests and use formal measurements and digital... > ACSIS066
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Compare results with predictions, suggesting possible reasons for findings > ACSIS216
- Year 4 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent... > ACSIS068
- Year 4 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a... > ACSSU076
- Year 4 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships > ACSHE061