Indigenous Spinning Tops - CLE
This Connected Learning Experience explores forces in an Indigenous context.
Description: In this investigation, younger students explore how push/pull forces can be applied to make an object move, in the context of spinning tops. They observe characteristics of successful spinners, and notice how a force is applied to set them in motion, or to make them stop.
Students will be able to:
- ask questions about, and describe changes to objects and materials
- identify examples of where science is used in people’s daily lives
- predict outcomes of investigations
- use informal measurements to make and compare observations with those of others
- record and represent observations and communicate ideas in a variety of ways
- use discussion to sort information and compare ideas.
New Australian Curriculum Codes: AC9S1U03 (Year 1)
A Connected Learning Experience (CLE) is a resource package designed to support the use of inquiry investigations in the classroom.
Each CLE may not encompass all the concepts and skills addressed in the specific content descriptions outlined by the Australian Curriculum: Science for that Year level. The Learning Intentions clearly define the aims and objectives of the CLE.
Year 2 Achievement Standard
This lesson sequence provides opportunities to gather information about students’ achievement of specific components in the standards (which are bolded in the statements below).
By the end of Year 2, students describe changes to objects, materials and living things. They identify that certain materials and resources have different uses and describe examples of where science is used in people’s daily lives.
Students pose and respond to questions about their experiences and predict outcomes of investigations. They use informal measurements to make and compare observations. They record and represent observations and communicate ideas in a variety of ways.
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Evaluating > Compare observations with those of others > ACSIS041
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Planning and conducting > Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions > ACSIS038
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Processing and analysing data and information > Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided... > ACSIS040
- Year 2 > Science Inquiry Skills > Questioning and Predicting > Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and... > ACSIS037
- Year 2 > Science Understanding > Physical Sciences > A push or a pull affects how an object moves or changes shape > ACSSU033
- Year 2 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Nature and development of science > Science involves observing, asking questions about, and describing changes in,... > ACSHE034
- Year 2 > Science as a Human Endeavour > Use and influence of science > People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their... > ACSHE035